Dennis O. Cawthorne
Dennis’ mission is public service. His passion is Mackinac Island. Dennis worked there one summer in college, and he’s been there every summer since. Dennis served 12 years in the Michigan Legislature, including four years as House GOP Leader. He later started a bipartisan law and lobbying firm with former Senate Democratic Leader, Bill Fitzgerald. In 1999, he joined forces with Michigan’s Democratic “Eternal General” Frank J. Kelley, to form Kelley Cawthorne.
Dennis remains active in business ventures. During the summer months, you can usually find him on Mackinac Island, making the rounds on his bike or dispensing political wisdom on the patio of his famed restaurant, The Village Inn. You can click here to learn more about Dennis and his work.
- Manistee, Michigan. Known as the Victorian Port City, it is the home of the Ramsdell Theatre where James Earl Jones made his acting debut.
- Blanchard Living Library of Michigan Political History Interview (2017) See More: http://www.jjblivinglibrary.com/Profile_Preview.php?Profile_ID=34
- Profile, Dome Magazine. Read More: https://web.archive.org/web/20140714202503/http://domemagazine.com/blogs/cov0509
- Michigan Senate Resolution 32 of 2013 recognizing his accomplishments as the longest serving Chair of the Mackinac Island State Park Commission. Read more here.
- Twice named state’s most effective lobbyist by Inside Michigan Politics
- Dennis O. Cawthorne Shoreline Trail on Mackinac Island dedicated in 2013
- On his Mackinac Island book, Detroit Free Press. Read more: https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/columnists/carol-cain/2015/06/07/carol-cain-mackinac-island-locals/28496157/.
- Audio Interview, Michigan Public Radio. Hear more: https://www.wkar.org/post/new-book-recalls-people-stories-shaped-mackinac-island-over-last-half-century#stream/0
- On Vice President Pence’s visit to Mackinac, Detroit Free Press. Read more: https://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/09/20/mike-pence-mackinac-island-motorized-vehicle/2386562001/
- On sale of Grand Hotel, Crain’s Detroit Business. Read more: https://www.crainsdetroit.com/hospitality/grand-hotel-sale-could-mean-improvements-longtime-owner-says
- Michigan House of Representatives, House Republican Leader
- Mackinac Island State Park Commission, longest serving Chair in state history
- Michigan Governor John Engler’s Transition Team
- The Village Inn Suites/Kingston Kitchen at Village Inn, Owner and Founder
- Albion College
- Harvard Law School
- Mackinac Island Visitors and Convention Bureau, Board Member
- Michigan History Foundation, Board Member
- Albion College Board of Trustees, Member Emeritus